Spotlight: Dreamland Social Club by Tara Altebrando

“A boardwalk fantasia of mermaids, dwarves, bearded girls, contortionists, and beautiful tattooed boys. This charming, sea-salty book stays with you like a half-remembered dream-the kind you wish would never end.” -Natalie Standiford, author of Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters and How to Say Goodbye in Robot.


I’m a longtime fan of author Tara Altebrando, and I was thrilled when I found out that a) we had signed with the same publisher, Dutton Books for Young Readers and b) her novel DREAMLAND SOCIAL CLUB was releasing just weeks after my BACK WHEN YOU WERE EASIER TO LOVE. My book has had the distinct honor of sitting next to her book at Costco for weeks now. And today I have the distinct honor of spotlighting this fantastic book.

DSC got a starred review in Kirkus, who had this to say: “Altebrando provides exceptional depth in both the setting and the motley cast of Coney Islanders, teen and adult, living and dead…. The result is a memorable tale of personal growth and acceptance that will make teens eager to join a Dreamland Social Club of their own.”

Like Girls' Life magazine says, "This all-around great story will leave you yearning for a trip to an old-school amusement park." Sounds like a perfect summer read to me.


Dreamland Social Club from First Day Films on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Lisa Schroeder said...

Wow, that video is so cool! I loved the old pictures of Coney Island! I definitely want to check out this book - thanks for spotlighting it, Em!

Melissa Walker said...

This is an amazing book! Among my favorites this year for sure.

Post a Comment