Spotlight Wednesday: WANT TO GO PRIVATE? by Sarah Darer Littman

I'm so excited to be spotlighting Sarah Darer Littman's latest release, Want to Go Private?! I first heard Sarah speak about this book when we were on a panel together during Teen Author Week in NYC, and I was so impressed by her thorough, insightful, and fearless treatment of a bold and important topic for teens today. 


And I'm not the only one! The LA Times called the book "a bold investigation of a potentially lethal issue." 



Abby and Luke chat online. They've never met. But they are going to. Soon.


Abby is starting high school--it should be exciting, so why doesn't she care? Everyone tells her to "make an effort," but why can't she just be herself? Abby quickly feels like she's losing a grip on her once-happy life. The only thing she cares about anymore is talking to Luke, a guy she met online, who understands. It feels dangerous and yet good to chat with Luke--he is her secret, and she's his. Then Luke asks her to meet him, and she does. But Luke isn't who he says he is. When Abby goes missing, everyone is left to put together the pieces. If they don't, they'll never see Abby again.


And if the premise of WTGP? weren't harrowing enough, consider this: it was inspired by a true-life story. And sadly, the particular incident that sparked Sarah's curiosity is only one in a staggering number of fast-accumulating statistics. 


To learn more about Sarah's book, or to find Internet safety resources, visit the dedicated WTGP? website. 




Can't wait to read this one, Sarah!

3 comments:

Bidisha said...

I've been seeing this book around blogosphere and it's on my wishlist. Now with this post and video it really has gone up my to-read pile. Love the LA Times one liner!

Unknown said...

I have been seeing this book everywhere for months, since word of it first broke on the blogosphere and I have been dying to read it ever since. I need this book ASAP.

Alexis Ladig said...

I would like to thank you for spotlighting this topic. As a teen myself, I know it happens more often then people might think.

Alexis
http://yaboooksbeyondthecover.blogpsot.com

Post a Comment